The Old Bank House

The Old Bank House

The portico of the Old Bank House

Typical of bankers' houses built in the middle of the 19th century in Scotland, the Old Bank House is the grandest, most splendid house in Abbey Street, the main street in Old Deer. Built out of finely cut granite ashlar, with traditional enclosed Scots gables, the house is ornamented with delicate low-relief quoins, string-courses demarcating the first and second, and second and third storeys, as well as classically inspired decoration including a well-proportioned porch supported by Doric columns. The building gives the required impression of solidity and permanence. As befitted the banker, the rooms inside are large, with high ceilings, and opulent plaster work.

The bank closed in Old Deer about 25 years ago, and the house was bought by Gordon and Linda Rhind in 1992. They have conserved the period features, and have converted part of the house to Bed and Breakfast accommodation. The house has three separate bedrooms for visitors, two rooms with twin beds, one with a double bed. Two of the rooms have en-suite bathrooms, and the breakfast room doubles as the guests' sitting room.

To find out more please make contact with
Linda Rhind
The Old Bank House
Abbey Street
Old Deer
Peterhead
AB42 5LN
Scotland.


tel: +44 (0)1771 623463

e-mail: linda.rhind@btinternet.com

(Revision date: Saturday 5th December 2009)




Home